On Halloween you need to have a really hearty healthy dinner before all the festivities start. Enter my Sausage Lentil Veggie Stew. It’s a one-pot meal that is satisfying, easy, warming, and the perfect pre-trick-or-treating food to help stabilize blood sugar before the binge starts 😉
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage (mild or spicy depending on what you like)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 oz tomato paste (1/2 a small jar)
- 1/2 lb carrots, diced
- 1/2 lb celery, diced
- 2 yukon gold potatoes, chopped with skin on
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 1 quart (4 cups) chicken broth
- Water as needed
- bay leaf
- collard greens, kale, or spinach
- Brown the sausage over medium heat by chopping up with a spatula in a soup pot. Add a 1/4 teaspoon of salt and cook for about 5 minutes or until the meat is cooked (even better if there is some browning of the meat as this gives more flavor to the dish). Drain any excess fat if needed.
- Add onions to pot and let cook for 3 minutes. Add garlic, stir well, and let cook for another minute.
- Add tomato paste and stir well.
- Add carrots, celery, potatoes, lentils, broth and bay leaf to the pot. Add enough water to completely cover all the veggies. Bring to a boil then turn down to a simmer. Let simmer for 30-40 minutes or until the lentils and veggies are soft and completely cooked.
- When they are done, turn off the heat and throw in your greens. Stir well and let the heat wilt them.
- Taste and add small amounts of salt and stir as needed until it tastes bright and delicious!
This stew freezes very well, so if you like it don’t hesitate to double the recipe and freeze half of it. Enjoy!