First and foremost, self-care is something that should feel good. It is something you do for yourself for your health and happiness. Even though it shouldn’t feel like a chore or something else on a to-do list, I find that having a list with some suggestions of ways to take care of yourself can be very helpful. We need self care all the time whether in quarantine or not. It is so very important!
Below are some ideas of things to do to take care of yourself this summer, or any season really. Do what feels good and speaks to you. This will change day to day and season to season.
This is meant to be light and feel easy so if anything here feels stressful simply choose something else! This list isn’t exhaustive so feel free to add in your own “fill in the blank” activity.
Today I did ______ to take care of my emotional and mental health.
- Shared my feelings with a trusted friend of family member
- Allowed myself to cry
- Was selective about the amount and type of news I consumed
- Expressed gratitude/gratitude list
- Took a break from social media
- Spent time outside
- Let go of perfectionism
- Listened to music I love
Today I did ______ to take care of my physical health.
- Moved my body in a way that felt great
- Ate vegetables
- Drank lots of water
- Took a shower/bath
- Got enough sleep
- Washed my hands often
- Practiced social distancing (not emotionally just physically)
Today I did ______ to take care of my social health.
- Called/video chatted someone I cared about
- Reached out to a neighbor
- Had a socially-distanced picnic
- Gave a compliment
- Did something kind for someone
- Appreciated myself and others
- Took some time to get to know someone I didn’t know very well (yet)
- Asked for help
- Made eye contact and said hello to people on the street and in stores
- Planned a date night with my partner
- Played with my kids
- Made a future plan for something fun with a friend