Happy winter solstice! Although this is the shortest, darkest day of the year, this year is unique. There is an astrological shift happening right now bringing our world and our lives some much needed optimism for 2021.
This holiday season, I’m hibernating and also trying to keep my spirits up by finding small things that make me happy and bring some relief from our pandemic life. The biggies for me right now are nature (getting out despite the cold), Netflix, baking, and candles. So many candles being burned right now because they make me happy. I’ve also made quite a few fruit crisps so I want to share one of my favorite recipes here.
Cinnamon-Spiced Apple Crisp
- 6-8 apples, peeled and chopped into bite sized pieces
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- ½ stick of butter, cut into small chunks
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup chopped nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans, etc.)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a small bowl, combine all spices and stir well.
- In an 8×8 baking dish, layer apples in the dish and mix with half of the spice mixture.
- In a food processor, add oats, the chunked butter, sugar, nuts and remaining spices.
- Pulse until combined. Don’t over do this. Leave the mixture chunky.
- Spread over top of the fruit. Cook for 40 minutes or until fruit is soft.
- I like to cover the crisp with foil for the first 20 minutes to cook, then I remove the foil and let the top brown for the remaining 20 minutes. Watch this carefully though and cover with foil after it reaches your desired level of crispiness. It might not take the full 20 minutes.
- Ice cream topping optional and highly recommended 🙂